by N.N.
I am originally from Uruguay, down south in America. Back in my country, when it comes to money it's something not easy to talk about. My parents had always worked really hard since they were little in order to support their families. Unfortunately they didn't have the opportunity of finishing school back in the 60's because of economical issues in their lives, such as their parent's disabilities, and the economical situation that has always been affecting my country. As parents they had always wanted the best for my brother and I, so in July 2002 they decided it was time to look for other opportunities for us in another country. I was 13 years old and my brother was 16.
Honestly, that was the best decision my parents could have ever made. They gave us the opportunity of achieving our dreams and believe that dreams can come true. I have always been a consistent person, who never gives up. I'm not an intelligent person, but I always try my best. In high school I was an A student and received a lot of scholarships. It made my parents proud of me because I was really taking things serious when it came to taking advantage of the opportunity they gave me to be here today.
My father became a constructor worker for seven year, working more than eight hours a day and having a pretty good salary in order to have a good life at home. On the other hand, my mother was and still is a house cleaner who started from the bottom being used by others, getting payed five dollars an hour and working ten hours a day; she had no choice when it came to work because we were new to the country and had no contact with other people.
Today after 4 years, thank God, she became independent at her job and has her own houses to clean which are the ones helping us. Since we came to the states life hasn't been easy, but we have had a good life. We have things that we might not be able to have back in Uruguay; like having a car. My parents had always prepared us for hard times in life, but I realized now that we weren't really prepared for what we are facing today in the United States.
After being in the states for 7 years I had never seen this country in this particular situation before. My dad, who has always been the head of the house, lost his job. He has been unemployed for a year. The worst impact for my father and the whole family was when the mail got home one late Sunday Afternoon and I said, "Dad did you get any mail from the company? Maybe there is good news inside!"
He was actually in his room when I told him that, and came out all excited with a huge smile on his face.
"OK then, open it and read it to me" he replied.
My father doesn't understand English very well so I'm always the one opening his letters in order to read them to him. After reading the first lines of the letter all that came to my face were tears.
I told daddy, "Do you know what these people are saying now? Not only do they not have work for you, but they are taking money from a paycheck you don't even have to pay for your medical insurance!"
My dad didn't say a word to me, he said, "Give me a hug baby!, I don't know how are we going to get through it, but there is always a way out."
He lost his job and prices were still going up. Even our rent went up more than 100 dollars; now we were deciding were to move. Personal finances are now tight. My brother and I have part time jobs, but unfortunately our money isn't enough in order to help mom with the finances.
I was getting less than 10 dollars an hour, working less than 25 hours a week at Starbucks, and my brother less than 9 dollar, working less than 20 hours per week at Jack in the Box. My brother and I always thank God for at least having a job compared to all the unemployed people around the United States, and to the grace that we can have food to eat and a decent roof to live under.
My brother and I are totally lucky for having a community college near by home, where we can study for a good price, compare to those nice universities around the states where we wish we could go, but impossible to afford. I already have three years at Canada College, and more to go, paying my tuition with scholarships money, and a little bit of the help of my part time job. It did really freak me out coming for summer section this Monday morning and seeing prices at the book store, and the financial aid help that lower income people use to have and that is no longer offered.
After finishing my English class I met my boyfriend outside who is taking another class, and we walk ourselves into the book store in order to buy our books. When arriving to the bookstore, I could see people's faces very disappointed, and I couldn't really understand why was that. After looking around prices for the books
my boyfriend exclaims, "Baby, come here you would not believe it if you don't see it!!"
So I walked into where he was at, and he pointed to me to one packet of 10 photocopy pages that was required for his class. Really upset he claims " Have you seen the price yet?"
And I replayed," Oh my God. This is totally ridiculous!!
For a packet of 10 pages they were charging each student $50, knowing that there is not more financial aid offered to students,and all the unemployed people who are struggling in college this day; that really got me mad. There were seven other classmates that were sharing the class with my boyfriend, and because of the economical issue we are facing today I give them the idea of buying only one packet and split the price among the seven students, then I photocopy for the rest. That is when I realize how the economical situation is becoming everyday worse, and that we got have to be very smart in order to help each other as classmates, so that we can save some money in book at school.
Now is when we have to make smart choices and learn how to save money in order to don't lose that little we have. We as people should work together in order to help each other, and to stop this California budget crisis we are facing today for Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan which is not helping at all. I believe he is against increasing taxes, and instead wants to balance the budget entirely , or almost entirely, by making cut, making the rich people middle class, the middle class poor, and poor people homeless. It is really scary to know that the person who is representing our government is not taking peoples thought and ideas. Schwarzenegger'is just making choices by his own ideas, and making himself look bad in front of the rest of the state. Instead of cutting taxes, and laying off people from their jobs and leaving them on the streets; we should have to opportunity to work and have better jobs in order to increase taxes in little amounts and not more than $1 dollar. It doesn't make sense to increase taxes when people don't even have a job first things first.
I totally realized how much this budget crisis was affecting my family but also myself when finishing spring semester. The EOPS program here at Canada College is wonderful,not only they help you out by paying you books, personal counselors and free supplies, but you also get the wonderful opportunity of meeting lovely people with whom you start a nice relationship. I know the coordinator of the program since I started Canada theree years ago, and we have been really good buddies since then. He and the secretary of the program have always helped me so much into paying for my copies, and print out in order for me to don't pay being already awarded of my economical situation at home. It was my last day at school before vacations and I passed by EOPS office early in the morning in order to say HI to my friends.
The coordinator told me " Nadia, I might not be here next semester, they are laying off a lot of people and Linda our secretary is already moving to another college because there is not way we can pay her here!"
" Tell me this is not true, Jose! What do I am going to do without you guys'help next semester",and I just break down in tears. This was the day when I realized that if I don't make smart choices I will be ending up dropping college because of money, but there is always a way out; there are the scholarships offered around compass that are waiting for students just to apply.
Personally from my part I'm trying to make smart choices in order for me and my family to survive this crisis that is affecting us so much economically. If before I used to go to the mall and buy clothing once a week, now I just only buy clothes when necessary and if it's affordable to me. No more buying food at the school, and so rather make my own food at home with what I just have and save the money. These changes are helping me to grow, because at my age I'm already learning how to make smart choices, and to be useful to become an example for others to become better, and that's how I feel the impact this whole situation is affecting my life in a good way
My hope is to see this country as it was five years ago. We are going through a very difficult time in the states, but this is going to last sooner or later. I wished my family weren't affected with this situation; but now I know is not only us, is all the people around the glove. Faith is the last thing we should lose, and better times will come if we work all together and help each other as a country in order for our president Obama to make the choices we all want to see.
About Me
- Margaret Hanzimanolis
- I teach writing and literature at De Anza College and CaƱada College in the Bay Area of California. My scholarly work is focused on gender and empire in southern Africa, sixteenth-century Portuguese shipwreck (the most extensive corpus of work about earliest contact between Europeans and southern Africans), and Luis de Camoes’ epic poem about Vasco da Gama’s voyage around the Africa, Os Lusiadas. Botanical exploration and nineteenth century travel writing are additional interests.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment